Friday, August 10, 2012

running with Lyme

Some mornings it's rough getting out of bed (like this morning). One leg doesn't want to go in front of the other.
Instead of jogging, I walked two miles.

Some nights (like tonight) it's a contest on what muscle group will get the heating pad first. I'm likely to spend the first hour or so in bed rotating the heat source from knees to hips to shoulders to neck.
Instead of our evening walk/jog, I watched a movie, rested on the couch, and trained the dogs for a little while.

"Strength doesn't come from what you can do; it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't..."

There have been worse days. Days when I couldn't climb a flight of stairs, or remember the value of a dime. Days when I existed in the recliner, and sleepless nights.

I did not think I would run.
I did not think I'd do a 5K.
I did not think I'd walk for miles.

But I'm doing it, and it feels good. These afflicted joints and muscles of mine are, most days, in agreement with my mind's eagerness to walk, trot, run.

I'm aware there might be a morning or evening when they're in a disagreement with my mind, and that's the morning or evening I'll let them win.

In the meantime, I have my eye on my morning outing, and another 5K in September.

And for this moment, I'm thankful for determination. I'm thankful for my heating pad and mild pain relievers, and I'm thankful for getting stronger.

I don't take these moments for granted.

No comments: