Sunday, November 29, 2009

Weekend Works

I got home on Tuesday and on Friday we started our second fall works - gathering cattle from three different pastures, bringing them to the house, seperating calves from their mommas, and working the calves who haven't been worked. We've got a cattle shipper on the way to haul the calves to the sale.

The weather's been fine for us all weekend, up into the 70's during the day, dropping between 10 and 20 at night. Today, though, it's snowing/sleeting/raining and I'm glad we gathered all day yesterday instead of today. Mom and I were on 4-wheelers the past two days. Our job was to go ahead of the riders (on horseback) and call the cattle using sirens attached to the ATVs that the cows are conditioned to come to. We'd ride in and out of canyons and into pastures, calling, calling, calling, until we'd gathered a pretty good herd. Then the riders would get there and with mom and I in front calling, the riders would push them from behind.

My hands are incredibly rough today and I realized it's probably only going to get worse from here! I've gotta be sure and keep lotion handy.

After today, I'm going to spend more time getting my house set up and all my stuff moved in. Right now, from about 6:30 a.m. to about 8 p.m., it's been crazy busy between the cattle works and cooking for everyone. Everyone being about 16-20 people for three hot meals a day.

It's my first weekend at home.

And I'm loving it.

No comments: