Sunday, July 8, 2012

I don't like whiteboards

I think whiteboards are clunky and institutional, but in the Cottage where there is a surplus of thoughts and to-do lists, a whiteboard-like item is necessary. When I discovered a couple years ago that dry erase markers on mirrors and window panes served the same functional purpose as a whiteboard, I was relieved.

Now I could have a space to spew thoughts (and erase them) and not have my office or bedroom or bathroom cluttered with the ugly white board.

All that to say, I needed one to hang above my desktop, so I rummaged in the old barn for the window frame I wanted and went to work on it. 

I hosed off, cleaned, scraped, hosed again, painted, distressed, and painted the wood again. I took the glass out and cleaned the pieces. I lost one in the process of this project, and when it came time to put it all together, one of the pieces was now too small for the frame. Why? Because of the nasty caulk-like substance holding it all in was now removed. I don't want that stuff chipping off onto my desk.

But here it is. I'm bad at taking before-pictures, but just envision an old white window frame being drug out of an old barn. You'll have the mental picture.

Drying

My helper for the day.

Putting the glass back in (I'm surprised I didn't break it)

Paying my helper some attention

The semi-finished project. Just have to find something for the empty frame hole. If you can't read the quote, it says: "She decided to start living the life she imagined." But the beauty of glass is that I can change it when I want to! :)

2 comments:

randyalan said...

Nice job Holly!!!

The Logarithmic Spiral said...

I love you. Really, truly love you. you are such a wonder woman!