Saturday, July 28, 2012

my two cents in a sea of pennies

What Chick-fil-A has become in the past week is a western problem. I think it's probably only here in 2012 that a fast food restaurant owner can declare his support of traditional marriage, and party lines are drawn - those who will eat chicken sandwiches and waffle fries, and those who won't.


Think about that for a second.

"I don't like you, Dan Cathey. I'm not going to spend my expendable western cash for a spicy chicken sandwich, which means I'll deny myself those handy packets of ketchup that allow me to squeeze the sauce so easily onto my piping hot waffle fries."

"Dan Cathey, I love you so much, I'm going to eat only fast food from your establishment, and I may even increase my consumption."

Meanwhile, it's illegal to be gay in Uganda.

Chicken sandwich and waffle fries - first-world problem.

Violence, imprisonment, loss of jobs for sexual orientation- third-world problem.

It's easy for us to solve the first-world problem. Photoshop some photos and text together, disseminate on Facebook, schedule an eat-in to support the restaurant. An eat-in. Ah, the struggle of expressing our support.

The third-world problem is much more...uncomfortable...messy.

Those on both sides of the chasm are demanding freedom (and the right!) to express their opinions, and neither giving the respect they're asking the other for.

So you won't eat at Chick-fil-A.
You're going to eat there more, dammit.

Personally it doesn't matter to me whether you indulge or deny a hot-off-the-grill chicken fillet on your way back to your job in a country where you can vote, but good for you for standing up for your beliefs in criticism/support of one man voicing his.

Meanwhile Syria is imploding and Iraqis are dying in attacks ruled the most deadly. Viatnamese children are being trafficked into Europe to work in marijuana factories and reporters in Mexico fear for their lives in covering the drug war. Africans don't have access to clean drinking water and girls in Afghanistan are attending underground schools.

This is what 2012 looks like for nations outside our own.

Here, chicken sandwiches and waffle fries are at the epicenter of an Internet debate that galvanizes two sides. It's good to know we're passionate about something (albeit fast food), but I'm beginning to question the integrity of the fight.

I respect the efforts of both sides, but I'm just not impressed by the facts I'm seeing.

A man and his corporation supports traditional marriage.
People eat more or less of his chicken.

I really think Chick-fil-A can fend for/support itself.

No comments: