Monday, October 17, 2011

because I can and because she can

There aren't a lot of dog rules in our house.

The general rule is that wherever I am, she can be there too.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

She can follow me on the carpet except after river outings or playing in the hose/mud.

She can get on the bed except after river outings or playing in the hose/mud or when I'm sleeping. She is not a gentle cuddler.

She can jump on me except when I'm leaving for work or just coming home.

She's allowed to put her paws on my desk and lick my face except for when I'm eating.

She's allowed to go to sleep where she wants, and usually it's somewhere near me.





There are absolutes, too, don't get me wrong.

For example, I am always the boss.

She can chase the deer, but only with permission.

She can run ahead of me out of sight, so long as she returns when I call.

She can never jump out of any vehicle without permission.

She should wait for my word before exiting the front door.

She knows my fingers snapping and the direction of my arm movement is as strong a command as any.

All joking and playing aside, a command is a command and with a word, I've got her spotty attention.

I'm the boss, but most days she teaches me more than I could teach her.

No comments: