Saturday, February 7, 2009

Car mechanics make me cry...for real

I recently said on this blog, I think in the last post, that I've cried more in the last six months then I have at any other time in my life.

Today, I added a new thing to that list. I cried on the phone with a car salesman.

I was promised that my car would be fixed Friday - then it was today. So I called the car dealership and the young gentleman told me that Charles doesn't work on Saturdays.

"I think his nose grew when he told you that," he said.
"No, you're joking." I think I told him that five times and every time he laughed and said, "No, I'm not."

"Okay. I'm a reporter. And I have a lot of meetings this afternoon and I have to have my car."

"Oh - you're a reporter! Where?"

"The Sun-News in Silver City."

"I'm from Bayard."

"Well, that's not too far from Silver City."


"Let me get your name and number."

"Holly Wise."

"How do you spell your last name?"


"Oh, I know that name! I read your articles all the time. And your e-mail is on the bottom of every story."

"Yes, yes it is. And thank you. Now, if you get a hold of Charles, tell him to CALL ME!!!"

Thirty minutes later, I called the dealership. Different sales guy who told me Charles was no where to be found, he had on idea about my car and I did not meet the criteria for a loaner.

I kept him on the phone for like ten minutes, trying to process what he was telling me. By the time he asked for my number and I gave it to him, I was crying. And I hated myself for letting the Rude Car Salesman hear me cry. You never give them that satisfaction!

About this time, the 30" story I'd spent two hours working on, was eaten by my computer.

I started bawling and called mom. A week of pent-up I DON'T HAVE A CAR emotions all came spilling out. Oh, and the fact that nobody can do what they say they're going to do or put me as a priority. I cried about that too. :)

So I arranged a ride to Silver, a ride home from Silver and a plan for Sunday and Monday.

About ten minutes later, Charles called me and said they had a computer issue and the car wouldn't be done till Monday.

By that time, my meltdown was over and I did not cry while on the phone with Charles.

Monday I'm being taken to Deming first thing in the morning and I will stand in the dealership until 1) my car is done or 2) I have a loaner.

It's already been 8 days without a car.


Mary Zolene said...

Oh man!!! What an ordeal....sorry Lol... :(

Amy said...

I feel so bad for you! Wish i was there to help :-(. Hang in there!