Saturday, January 16, 2010

Listening

Sometimes, just listening to my family makes me content.

Sometimes I like to be a fly on the wall. Sometimes I like to withdraw, inwardly, or to another room as I am now and I like to listen.

Sometimes I don't want to be a part of every conversation. Sometimes it's a relief when I realize I don't have to be (did you know I'm opinionated?!)

Sometimes what I hear makes me smile or even laugh out loud, as I'm trying not to do now while I listen to Elsie and Micah on the couch.

Sometimes I realize how blessed I am to be a part of this family.

Sometimes I want to run away.

Sometimes I want to interject so bad with my opinion or worse yet impose my opinion as the absolute truth. But how inconsiderate would that be? I'm not always right, you see.

Sometimes I can't believe they're having the conversations they're having. No topic is off-limits in my family. Someday I'll prove that to you.

Sometimes I can't hold myself back any longer and go join them.

Sometimes I yell at them to quiet down.

Sometimes, like now, I bid them goodnight and retire to my bed.

No comments: