Thursday, January 14, 2010

Winds of Change

I can feel them, you know, these winds of change. It's January 14, 2010 and just two weeks into the year, these winds have been blowing.

Why is it that it takes stormy wind to motivate me? I don't just mean physical wind. I mean, it's windy outside right now and I'm feeling no motivation (zero!) to go get done the million of things that are surely beckoning me. But I'm not listening to them right now.

Stormy winds are like people staring me in the face saying, "You could never do that."

My reaction? "Oh yeah, wanna bet?" and then I find a way to get it done. It runs in my family and according to my mom, I've had this endearing trait since I was a toddler. "Holly, don't step on the floor I just mopped."

Hmmmm....one foot over the line.

That's what we do, we push the boundary of what's socially acceptable. And we aren't the first in our lineage to do that.

When we look at my family's heritage, it's little wonder we are who we are. Pioneers, Indian chiefs, horse thief-turned Christian, mountain men, missionaries.

Are you surprised I interpret stormy winds as a challenge? With this background, it's little wonder we're not afraid to traverse new territory, live adventure, reach the world and view failure as an integral part of our learning experiences.

It's in our blood.

When I was in college every semester was a challenge to outdo my performance from the previous one. Every class was a clean slate for an A.

I'm thinking of this year the same way.

2010 is going to be a great one and in a lot of different aspects. I'm ready to brave the unknown waters of business and utilize my talents to earn a living, make a difference, impact the world.

"Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow."

No comments: