Friday, June 18, 2010

I've been blogging for six years...

Happy Blogiversary to me. Six years is a long time to be doing anything but for the past 2,190 days I've faithfully written my life here and on trusty Xanga.

Here's the first sentence from my first blog post:

June 18, 2004: "Hello Friends! Yes, I know. This is a blog and I am a journalist. They don't exactly go together like PB&J but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do."

That's what we were told back in journalism school six years ago. It's amazing how things have changed.

I've spent some time walking through the cyber hallways of these memories.

I blogged about chickens, my dog, this darling baby Ashanti that my family almost adopted, politics (I was rather naive back then!) my brother's baseball games, my mother's illness, boys I met, jobs I worked, people I met, injustices that pissed me off, my college semesters and subsequent graduations, my family, traveling, our transitions, my Lyme Disease, which looking back was so apparent but we didn't know.

June 29, 2005: "Ohhhh....sometimes life is out of control. Sometimes I ask "why." Not out of distrust of the God who has led us through so much and will see us through. Sometimes I'm just curious."

Sometimes, like in this post, I was too vague. I want to ask that Holly what was wrong? What was out of control? What happened? But I can't. And I can't remember.

June 17, 2006: "Evalyn Grace needs your prayers tonight, friends."

I remember this post. I wrote it in the lobby of a hotel the night after my niece was tramautically born. She was in the NICU, clinging to life, and we were being told to doubt her neurological survival. Evalyn celebrated her fourth birthday two days ago. She's a miracle. And my blog has lived to tell about it.

Hopefully you're documenting your own life. If you're not, it's never too late to start and if you are, keep it up. The memories, even the painful ones, are worth it.

No comments: