Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Kentucky farm and Kentucky roads-where-it-doesn't-look-like-there-should-be-one

My Kentucky vacation mornings are starting out much the same way my Texas every-day-mornings do...a walk with Tuck and a cup of coffee.

Only here we get to walk on a Kentucky farm and my cup of coffee is shared with my friend and her 2-year-old, and Tuck gets thrown in the back yard with her five dogs.

I found this field. Not like it was hard to find, it's behind the barn and not far from her house, perfect walking distance for Tuck and I. From here, it looks like a contiguous field.

It wasn't until we kept walking, right up to the edge, that we discovered it's not continuous at all.


There's a road there, right through the middle of what we saw was two fields. 


We walked all the way down the road and back. Of course, for me it's not just a once-invisible road in the middle of two fields. It's a metaphor for a lot of what life looks like for me right now.

Impossible.
Suffocating.
Claustrophobic.

The road is my hope, but to find it, I have to walk right up to the edge and maybe take a first step into the unknown before I see it stretching before me.

I've just got to figure out: what's my edge? what's my unknown?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...walking distance for Tuck and *me*."

Not, "Tuck and I". You do that a lot.

Aren't you a news editor? With a master's in journalism?

Holly said...

Ah, thanks. See? Everyone needs an editor. And the beauty of blogging is not everything will be grammatically or phonetically correct and I might even spell things wrong and write crappy sentences regardless of how much education I have. Blogging is really a great thing.

The Logarithmic Spiral said...

It's funny that I bristled reading that comment and thought, "You know, there's a way to be graceful in correction and not gloating or rude." And then I read your response and felt immediately ashamed that I wasn't as full of grace and patience as you are. And then I thought, "I would have the same grace and patience if I took a minute to stew and then write a sweet response." Except no I wouldn't. I would've been a bitch. And enjoyed it ;)

PS, I love you. And I hate that it takes me half a year to catch up on your blog. Poo