Wednesday, March 14, 2012

plant eating

I stopped eating meat 14 days ago. Intentionally.

In my brother's words, I am officially a hippy, after he's added all the evidence together (my plant growing and station wagon driving) and to summarize, he's concerned.

But it's true, and it's not something I decided to do overnight and I have no preconceived notions of how long it's going to last. It's something I've thought about for awhile and when March 1 rolled around and I needed groceries, I decided: why not do it now? This was also the time the "pink slime" went viral on Facebook, which hurt the appetizing factor of processed meat, which leads me to the reason behind my decision.

Health.

I'm not comfortable with the way meat is processed and I want to give my body every fighting chance to survive.

For me, it's been an easy transition. My diet to begin with was simple and I was already in the habit of preparing my meals in advance, so eliminating meat hasn't been a hassle. And, I don't miss it. I stock up (even more) on leafy greens and fresh fruit, and have enjoyed making new recipes sans meat.

It's a good choice for me right now. Maybe later I'll change, but for now, it fits and my body seems to like it.

1 comment:

The Logarithmic Spiral said...

Of course you know how much I love this :)