Thursday, March 15, 2012

mommy for 3.5 days

It hasn't even been 24 hours and I've got little outfits hanging from the shower curtain rod, drying from their impromptu wash in the bathroom sink this morning.

I've comforted a fussy girl who didn't want to go to sleep for the first hour of bedtime, and then worried all night about her getting too cold.

I've already had one episode of flipping on nearly every light in the bedroom when I couldn't see her chest rising and falling before I went to bed.

The first nearly sleepless night is under my belt. I was worrying about if she was too hot or too cold, and then at 4 a.m. she decided it was time to wake up, but it wasn't.

This morning I tugged her into bed with me from her little pallet besides my bed and we snuggled for a few minutes. Later, she had a coughing fit and threw up. I almost did too.

The babysitter came and I told her goodbye, but I didn't really want to leave her. Thirty minutes later I wanted to check and see how she was doing. I held off for an hour and then was glad to hear that she was laughing and smiling and watching Mary Poppins.

And it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

No comments: