Sunday, August 9, 2009

Do homeless people have driver's licenses??

A couple (okay, more than a couple) weekends ago, I lost my drivers license in the lake. How? Here's the story (in a run-on sentence)...

I had it in the back pocket of my shorts when I got on the boat with no intention of getting in the water but after we went out and the boys wanted me to get on the innertube, I caved and did so, forgetting that my license was in my back pocket and thereby losing it.

My gift to Lake Broccoli.

So I need to have Santa Fe send me a new one. But in the meantime, I don't have one, and it makes it difficult to do things like...cash checks!....without a valid form of ID. Trust me, an expired license does not count as valid ID.

Katie and I were sitting in the uber-big chair tonight watching TV and talking (this was before I hit her in the face) and she said, "Well, why don't you just get one here?" Meaning, a driver's license.

"I don't want to," I replied. "Because I don't want to use this (pointing at Lucas's house) as my permanent address and I don't really have any other address to use."

"Well, I wonder what homeless people use," she mused, looking at me inquiringly (sp?).

I thought for a split second and then replied, in utmost sincerity, "I don't know."

That's when I punched her in the mouth.

**EDIT: No, I didn't really punch her. Well, actually, I did. But not because of this story - I just thought it made a much more dramatic ending. And it probably couldn't be classified as a 'punch', per se, more like an "elbowing to the lower lip." Or "elbowing the lower lip into the top teeth so as to make the lower lip bleed." Yeah, that's what it was.

I put my hands behind me to push myself back in the chair and when I went to do that, my elbow popped her pretty hard in the mouth. Hard enough to make her head snap back a little and her eyes to go buggy for a minute. Then she said,

"Are you serious?"

I said I was sorry.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, I don't know about homeless people and their valid IDs, but you could get a P.O. Box, right? Or do you have to have a physical address on your ID?