Sunday, August 7, 2011

she loves me

I fell in love with her at first sight when her picture was transmitted onto my cell phone, and I had to figure out a way to get her from Kentucky to New Mexico, which I did.

That was 2 1/2 years and many miles ago. Come to think of it, many, many miles.

So, I fell in love at first sight, but I think it's taken her longer. And our trust has been longer in forming. She's spent more time not listening to me than obeying (it seems like), she's killed things and chased more. She's run away and left me crying. She would rather pace obsessively over a cat on the back deck then snuggle with me on the couch.

And yet in her own way she worships the ground I walk on. It's just taken us longer to get there and we've not fully arrived. But do you ever really?

Right now, she's laying under the table at my feet. People can get up and go; she stays. I get up, she follows. While I'm puttering (as I often do) she gets tired of following me from room-to-room so she has a general location where she can lay and watch. She obeys. She listens to me. It's (more so of) a yin-yang.

Being laid up for the past few days has made her more aware of me. She's not used to me being in one place for very long so at first she was confused over my stationary behavior yet she had an awareness that something was wrong. She parked herself by the side of my bed and slept when I slept. Then she alternated between jumping on my bed and laying next to me/on me, or just saying hi.

It's another pivotal moment in our relationship. Pivotal to and from what I'm not really sure. But it's another step in our forward journey of getting acquainted, me falling in love and her falling in love with me.

Welcome to an entire post (complete with pictures) about my dog, Skye.






No comments: