Thursday, July 21, 2011

I love AC

My love of air conditioning is legendary.

Friends who are reading this who know me are laughing because they've seen my moments of panic when I'm not being cooled properly, they've witnessed my frantic rolling down of vehicle windows and even waiting outside the vehicle until the driver starts the car. There's nothing worse then being enclosed in a hot vehicle while the driver's fumbling around for the keys. Please, can we find that shit before we get in?

It doesn't take long for new friends to figure out I don't especially enjoy walking in humid, non-breezy conditions and that my attitude can go from pleasant to bitch in about four seconds.

No one knows this more than my family. And yet there's always an element of surprise when we're traipsing down the San Antonio Riverwalk in 110 degree heat and I'm RUNNING towards the nearest building with AC in a not-very-nice way. Get me a cool breeze in my face and just as quickly as I bared my claws, I can retract them and become a nice person again.

For all of these reasons, I'm proud I've gone the entire summer sleeping without AC. At least during the week.

The woman I stay with during the week is from Germany and Germans don't use their central air conditioning units. This was explicitly expressed to me when I started staying with her and armed with my fans, I was ready to take it on.

She assured me I was welcome to purchase a window AC unit but as May faded into June and then July came, it was a challenge.

I learned that I can live without AC. Not my #1 choice, but I can do it.

Last night, when she decided the time had come to crank up the central cooling system, I realized how much I adore cold air coming out of vents onto me.

All my cares literally melted away and if it hadn't been midnight, I'd have sent a mass text.

Snuggling in my covers never felt so good.

1 comment:

The Logarithmic Spiral said...

This is too funny. I am the exact opposite! I have a serious dislike for AC and how it's abused. This might also be because I grew up, and still am, in the Northeast where winter lasts about 9 months out of the year and we only have, at most, 2 really good months of warm weather. Plus, I'm Mexican/Southern Italian and was born to be in the tropics. I guess I just don't understand why we wait all year to be warm and have summer and then proceed to completely make it pointless by cranking the AC to near arctic temperatures. Is there any logic in this???
But, I will say, that some properly utilized AC at the right time can be a life saver!