Saturday, January 22, 2011

I'll take care of that for you

The sexiest thing anyone can say to me is, "I'll take care of that for you."

I don't care if you're talking about feeding my dogs, putting the sheets on my bed, typing up a press release, or finding the remote - "I'll take care of that for you" is a tingling phrase that makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

The workload sometimes just doesn't feel right. It's one I've saddled on myself and am fond of but some days, it rubs in the wrong places.

At work, in addition to my role as editor, I function under the responsibility of covering,
- two county governments
- three (needs to be four) city governments
- two school districts
- one (on the cusp of becoming two) water supply corporations
- three police departments
- two sheriff's departments
- one economic development corporation
- two fire departments
- one (needs to be two) district attorney's office
- one (needs to be two) district and county courts
- misc. feature stories

When I'm not at work, my demands center around,
- horses
- dogs
- cleaning
- laundry
- researching and writing
- planning secrets
- creating
- cooking

Generally, just making sure everything is okay.
Do the horses need to be wormed? The dogs?
Skye needs to be worked with.
I've got to get this article edited.
I need to e-mail so-and-so.
Is there a photographer at that event?
The dishwasher needs to be unloaded and reloaded.
Who left the popcorn box out from last night?
I need to take the Red Box movie back.
Who left the lid off the dog food? Now it's moldy.
Where are Christina and I going on our road trip?
I need to contact Margaret about volunteering.
I need to see a chiropractor.
I need to go clean the neighbor's house.
The horses' trough needs to be scrubbed.

And to think that yesterday I told someone, "I think I'm getting a little bored."

There's probably some psychology behind my whirlwind. Maybe I'm trying to find inner satisfaction; maybe I'm trying to prove to myself that I can do everything.

Or maybe I just have an extra dose of productivity for the sake of productivity. Maybe all this expenditure of energy is for a bigger purpose, even though sometimes it catches up to me and I tiptoe across the stress line over a photo book. (thanks, Kristin, for bringing me back!)

"I'll take care of that for you"....

sexy, sexy words.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you read Gary Chapman's "Five Love Languages"? I believe yours would be service. And based on what else I know about you, quality time would rank high. :) The others are physical touch, words of affirmation and gifts.

Christina said...

We are going everywhere on our road trip...I'll call you soon :)