Wednesday, January 5, 2011

it's about more than a silly man trying to find love on a silly show

This is my public admission that I watch the Bachelor and the Bachelorette religiously. I'm taking the risk that my cool points have diminished but I was bound to disappoint you at some point.

For me, though, it's about more than succumbing to the silliness of a silly man/woman trying to find silly love on a silly show because I know that 1,200 miles away, one of my very best friends is doing the exact same thing. And we discuss.

This week was a little different because while I watched the premiere with my sister, Kristin was watching UK basketball. She mentioned something about not wanting to watch four hours of television in one night (where's the dedication?!) so she caught up on the premiere last night. And we discussed.

"'I was broken up with because he was looking for a more petite behind...can you handle this?' Wow. oh. Wow."

"Vampire girl got a rose!"

"These people crying because they didn't get a rose - really?!"

Kristin and I talk on a near-daily basis. We're both writers, we e-mail incessantly - our notes over the past three years create a string of memories that span the adoption of their children, my new jobs, her grocery shopping trips, my pets.

For me, our weekly rendezvous on couches 1,200 miles a part doesn't have a whole lot to do with who Brad Womack picks at the end. It's about spending those mindless two hours with my familiar friend in a far-away place while we mercilessly criticize, gossip, critique and even laugh out loud.

Ironically, she blogged about this too.

3 comments:

Amber Porsche said...

I LOVE THIS!!! Sounds like a fab time with a great friend :)

Unknown said...

I should clarify: It was that's I didn't WANT to watch four hours of recorded television, but I just knew it was realistically going to happen starting at 8 p.m. I like my sleep, you know! :)

And, yeah, the similarities between posts are totally there. Great minds think alike. :)

Kimberly said...

I meet with my mom, my two aunts, and my cousin online, once a week, to discuss a book that we're all reading. In the end, discussion is rarely about the book :)